Friday, October 14, 2011

Preparing for a Grand Adventure

Step 1: Preparation

Monday: 
Plan to clean the car
Facebook
Write song on GarageBand

Tuesday:
Assure Dad I will clean the car. 
Clean room, which results in hub point for entropy

Wednesday: 
Still planning on cleaning the car...
Realize I have WAY to many clothes but can only find a bagful to get rid of.
Make a list of preparation 'to do' activities
Make a delicious sandwich 

Thursday:
Go for a morning swim to avoid guilt that my parents are in better shape then me
Reality begins sneaking into my brain
Mixture of excitement and dread create a time warp which speeds up the day therefore allowing nothing to really be accomplished

Friday:
Finally start cleaning the car...
Start to become more proactive by making visiting plans and.... starting this blog
Continue scraping tree sap off the car...

Don't get me wrong, I am more excited than a penguin on an ice luge to go on this trip, and yet it seems I cannot help but fall back into my usual habit of leaving everything until the last minute. I thought I got better about that in collage... oops.  

A couple of weeks ago, my Dad and I rode our bicycles on a 435 mile excursion across the Green Mountains of Vermont and the truck infested, endless hills of New York and Pennsylvania to my aunt's house.  I did not ride at all this summer and was seriously questioning my physical capability for the trip.  Turns out I had some reserves saved up and we managed to make the journey in 5 days, averaging 80-100 miles a day.  I had NO idea I was capable of that kind of riding, and the hills we climbed were some of the toughest I have ever encountered.  After that, these nervous pangs I am experiencing planning this trip don't seem so bad.  I just have to get on the road and out of preparation land.  

I guess you could say that the thesis statement for the purpose of this trip is... to openly and freely travel to new places visiting old friends and making new ones in order to deepen my understanding of humanity and discover my inner and outer voice as a member of that humanity.  I realized that I have started to think about the next seven years of my life as "what do I want to have accomplished before I'm 30?", which is weird to begin with.  I have spent the last four years of my life studying music and have realized its importance to me and the world.  I don't mean to undermine that in any way, but I can't bring myself to avoid a tug on my gut that seems to be pulling me away from jumping into a career in music.  I know that the image of a young person driving down an open road looking for adventure is not a new concept, but it is well known for a reason.  

I have lived my life so far viewing time through an academic planner with each week clearly laid out in front of me.  The new sense of freedom I have from time in Monday-Friday blocks in terrifying, but it is growing on me.  I am beginning to see that I have a rare opportunity and a narrow window of time in the greater scale of my life to live "spherically and in many directions"(Under the Tuscan Sun, great movie if you haven't seen it).  I am going to grab hold of time and make it go in the direction and shape that I want.  I am going to seek out my own version of art and life so that I am ready, if the time comes, for when I need to return to the week, month, and year.  So wish me luck! Knowing me its going to be an interesting ride...

Always remember, Die life is die life!

Dad and I after the 2nd day (95 miles) at a restaurant called Peddlers


On the road in PA. 






                    

1 comment:

  1. i like this background even better than the last one, and this font is much easier to read :)

    ReplyDelete