Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I drove in a straight line for an hour, no joke.

Ah, Ohio and Michigan.  If I ever become involved in an experiment or project which demands an extremely level, relatively undisturbed, cow and wheat dominated landscape, I shall be prepared to suggest a location.  I don't want to seem like I am poo-pooing the mid-west, but... thank goodness I have those mix CD's Margaret Rodgers made for me.  However, even though I found the driving tedious and exhausting, I still recognized the beauty in those endless waving fields.  Though different from lands of more complex topography, it carries the beauty of simplicity, and the friends I spent time with there were what made it wonderful.


On my way out of Buffalo I inevitably encountered traffic and rain.  It was like a situation from some city sitcom.  I hadn't had my coffee yet and was fumbling with a map to try and find a route to Cleveland which would avoid the tolls.  I turned on the radio and instantly a voice was updating me about the traffic on roads whose numbers meant nothing to me.  All I heard were the words "extreme delays" and "backed up".  I generally associate those phrases with postal service efficiency or toilets so I thought nothing of it pertaining to my current situation.  Of course, when I attempted to get on the highway, I was instantly trapped on the on-ramp of no return.  I was surrounded by honking and revving and the rolling of eyes.  I was part of a grand display of the physics of a funnel.  Yet, just when I thought all hope of progress was lost, a kindly tow-truck honked and waved me on in front of him giving me a spot in the slow, but moving, traffic line. What? Such kindnes! I was so inspired by the moment of charity that I myself allowed two cars beside me who were approaching the end of the on ramp to join the parade.  It was just a traffic jam of love!


In Cleveland I stayed with the Adams family.  Yep, go ahead, I know you want to. (Ba da da dum *snap* *snap*).  They are a wonderful family I met during my time working at the Rockywold Deephaven Camps. Unfortunately, I had a brain aneurysm and didn't take any pictures while I was in Cleveland, which I am very put-out about.  But I can tell you that I had a wonderful lunch with Andrew Loucky, a friend who attends Case Western, at a restaurant called "Liquid Planet", which I feared only served liquid foods, but was fortunately wrong, and where the girl at the register had to repeat herself three times because I couldn't understand her accent when she said, "is that all for you" (to me it sounded like iz tha-all foodu...), at which point Andrew explained to her, "its OK, she's not from around here"...  I was also able to meet up with my dear friend Rochelle Hudson whom I met in Vienna.  We went to a restaurant that serves a myriad of sandwhiches which all begin with a grilled cheese outline.  I had an italian-grilled-cheese, which was actually amazing! Heart attack? What?  The next morning I enjoyed a fresh sticky-bun/coffee/dog walk with our family friend Mary-Kay.  This was a very food based experience apparently.  


I was under the impression that Cleveland was as flat as the rest of Ohio, but John Adams proved me wrong!  He and I went for a bike ride around the more Connecticut-influenced surroundings of Cleveland.  I mean, we weren't scaling the French Alps all of a sudden or anything, but it was a beautiful, warm fall day, and a ride over rolling hills hit the spot!  I also walked around the Cleveland Museum of Art and was impressed by their wonderful modern art collection. One of the paintings which moved me most was a huge wall piece titled Lot's Wife by Anselm Kiefer.  It was made with paint, ash, chalk, stucco, and bark, and stands at 11 x 12 feet.  I absolutely love looking close-range at paints first and then backing away slowly until I gain perspective.  This work seems to have no order when you stand inches away.  The material is about 5 inches think on the canvas and seems to have been frozen while in violent motion.  As you back up, a moment emerges, and then an image, which each viewer will perceive uniquely.  I saw in it emptiness, loss and memory created by a violence revealed by the work's medium. The painting was done in 1945 in the aftermath of the Holocaust and intended to engage history's ethical issues.



I then headed for Ann Arbor, Michigan where I stayed with yet another Vienna friend who was my roommate while I was abroad.  Ann Arbor was more isolated than I had imagined and yet so much bigger!  The University of Michigan is huge! The campus is beautiful and it is such a college city; coffee shops on every corner, pizza and carb this or that, beer shops, restaurants, movie theaters, museums, etc.  It actually took me aback to see a whole town basically full of and run by college students.  I saw very few people over the age of 25.


The next morning I faced the long, long, long, long, long, long.....long highways of Ohio on my way to Cederville.  It was my birthday (woot!), and I felt a wave of sudden wisdom and understanding with my new age... hahah.  But seriously, I'm excited to be 23!  I don't know exactly why, but it seems like a solid number, full of fresh possibility! Plus, my lucky numbers are 3 and 7, and I turned 23 on the 27th, which was a positive sign in my mind.  I briefly visited my friend from home Caleb Ingram, who is a student at Cederville College, and drove to Cincinnati early the next morning.  I had an appointment to tour the Conservatory at the University of Cincinnati.  The campus is very nice, and the music building is only 14 years old so its all fancy schmansy.  I didn't get a chance to meet with a teacher because I found out that the teacher I was trying to contact had actually retired and they hadn't taken her name off of the website...  


That afternoon I headed west.  I'm not gonna lie... I was super excited to leave Ohio.  No offense.  Southern Indiana is actually quite lovely, with rolling hills and curves to the road.  My destination was Indiana University in Bloomington.  A number of my Vienna friends are seniors there and two of them were the only undergraduates cast in the school's next opera, La bohème (IU does 6 operas a year!)I sat in on their evening rehearsal and talked to some of the masters students about the program.  I absolutely loved their director!  He was very straight forward without being condescending and was altogether very professional.  All of the singers were wonderful, but it was interesting to see where he picked out the subtle critiques.  


I was staying with Siena Forest with whom I had traveled around Italy and who is Musetta in La bohème. We decided it was the weekend to do fall things (and by that I mean Autumn, although I would be the perfect candidate to spend a day tripping on and running into random objects).  We made an apple pie, carved pumpkins, saw IU's production of the American opera A View from the Bridge by William Bolcom, and went to a drag queen show! Isn't that how everyone spends their Halloween weekend?



Her cat Henry was extremely entertaining and kept me company while she was at class in the morning.  He scared the bejezus out of me by poking his head under the shower curtain to say hello, while I was in the shower.  He also spent 10 minutes trying to get at a grasshopper-like bug that was in toilet and was then facinated by the spinning water as I flushed the mystery bug down the drain. 









I was able to meet with one of the voice teachers at Indiana, Patricia Stiles.  I was nervous to meet with her and especially sing for her, but she was wonderful to talk with!  I had a short lesson with her which proved to be very encouraging.  I was not sure what to expect, but in a short time I felt very comfortable with her and came away with some helpful comments and advice. It was really exciting to hear that I could hold my own at an institution like Indiana, and I literally was giddy after I left.


I know that it was only one person's opinion and I know I need to wean myself off of relying on external confirmation from others, but its hard!  That's was happens in school and its hard to adapt to relying on yourself.  I can say that her positive response helped alleviate the little worry-guilt gremlin I've had on my back.  Even 2 weeks into this trip, I wasn't really letting myself enjoy it.  But for some reason, the affirmation that I, even when a little rusty with the whole singing thing, could make a good, strong impression on a stranger, allowed me to let go somewhere.  I felt happy and confident and free.  I am going to pursue the future with confidence and try to grasp opportunities wherever they are without any hesitation.

Next stop, Chicago!



No comments:

Post a Comment