Thursday, July 26, 2012

Life in the Bozone Part 2: Change and Aikido

I find it interesting how each person deals with change differently.  I always thought I had no problem with change; that I was as fluid and smooth as oil on a hot skillet.  Well, as it turns out, I flow more like cold molassas on a skillet covered with burnt scrambled eggs.

It took me a long time to adjust to my new environment.  I regret not trying to become more involved in the greater Bozeman community sooner, but when you are as accustomed to having a closely knit web of friends and neighbors around you as I am, trying to break into a different and already established web of people is very intimidating and hard. 

Whatever your perceptions of Montana are, Bozeman has a lot going on.  The city is primarily comprised of small businesses giving it a small-town feel for a city of around 40,000 people.  The arts are extremely well supported and there are many live music jam sessions and art galleries all over the city. There is a Bozeman Symphony, the Intermountain Opera company, as well as a 300 member high school choral program and many summer theater camps.   Plus, as my uncle will remind you over and over again, “You can’t get this view in Boston!” 

Despite all this, it took me until about February to actually go out and start doing things other than skiing each weekend.  In retrospect, it was really quite pathetic.  Many of the music events happened in the local bars, but I really don’t like going to bars by myself.  It’s just not fun when you are alone at the bar, or worse, at a booth.  Sometimes you make friends, but in the event that you don’t find anyone to talk to, it just sucks.  I kept trying to suck it up and go, but I’ll admit, it never happened.

I did meet at least one friend that I hung out with while I was there.  Hallie and I met while I was working the temp job at "Business That Will Not Be Named".  She is a graphic designer/excellent Rodan & Fields consultant and her husband works in the snowboard department at Big Sky.  Thanks to her, I met some other awesome Bozeman locals and was able to get out on the town every once and while. It became our modes operende to meet at the bar PLONK, order the cheese platter, which is a fancy six-piece cheese spread that magically lasts about 2 hours, and a fancy shmantzy cocktail.  They honestly have the best mixed drinks!  They are amazing.  My budget, however, only allowed me one drink per visit, which was ok, since it probably added to their specialness.

One day I was walking by the incredible Bozeman public library when I saw a light blue warehouse at the rear of the parking lot.  Hanging on the side was a huge banner that read “Big Sky Aikido”.  I couldn’t believe it! To add to Bozeman’s awesomeness, they had a martial arts studio!  To explain: I have always been interested in at least trying out some form of martial arts.  When I was studying abroad in Vienna, Austria, I signed up to take Aikido at the Sports Universität. I was intrigued not only by the practice of Aikido, but the philosophy behind it.  Unfortunately, I ended up having to quit after the first week due to a time conflict with another class.  The one Aikido class I did attend, though extremely confusing because it was all in Austrian German, was very interesting, and I enjoyed the movements and the mindset of the practice.  So I decided that this banner was telling me, “Claire! The time for action is now!

I signed up for an eight week beginner course that met two times a week.  I wasn’t sure how many other people would be signing up for an Aikido class in the middle of winter, but I decided not to worry about that.  Worst case scenario, I’d have a private lesson.

Before my first class, I met the head instructor, Olsen Sensei, and was immediately impressed by his presence. He is a sixth degree black belt and has spent over 40 years studying Judo and Aikido.  It’s hard to explain exactly how I felt just standing next to him. When he looked at me, his eyes were strong and steady, and they told of a soul deeply connected with self understanding, knowledge, and wisdom.  When I saw him seeing me, it was as though I became very aware of all my insecurities and personal weaknesses when met with his steadiness.  And yet, in that moment of almost overwhelming deprecation, there was warmth and an understanding in him, which was both calming and humbling. 

I will never forget a moment I had later on with him.  The bi-annual examinations were happening in the dojo and I was excited to see the members show off their skills.  I, however, messed up the time I thought it was starting, and by the time I got there, everything was finished.  I had missed it all.  I was so angry at myself and so disappointed.  Olsen Sensei made eye contact with me and came over to me from across the floor.  He asked me what was wrong.  I think he knew I wanted him to ask me because I was wallowing in self-pity.  I told him why I was upset, and without indulging me with any sympathy, he simply answered, “Well, since there’s nothing you can do about it, it would be a waste of time to be angry.”  And then he smiled, knowingly.  I felt embarrassed and childish, because I knew he was right, and I knew he had just indirectly told me to stop feeling sorry for myself.  It wasn’t a put-down or a chastisement, it was a lesson, simply put, and I got the memo.  After the exams, everyone went out for pizza a beer.  I let go of my useless angst, and had some fun with the people I admired.

Olsen Sensei
The first beginners class, there were actually three other people with me.  They were all dudes.  One was a pale computer science nerd from Alaska, one was a sunburned contractor who had actually lived in New Hampshire for a while, and one was a kindly Asian man who had done the class before and drove a sweet Moped.  We were joined by a couple others the following class. One was a women (yes!), Ellen, a biochemist who worked at MSU and with whom I became friends, and the other was a MSU student who was actually rather condescending to me when we were partners.  It was OK though, he’s a college freshman boy; they don’t know anything. 

And then there was our instructor, Justin.  Dang.  Even if I hadn’t liked the class I would have stayed just to look at him.  He was super energetic, all about the athletic and intense, was always positive and optimistic, with a bellowing laugh and a mischievous grin.  His energy was so invigorating to be around.  On top of all that, he is an Aikido badass.  We were soon introduced to his notorious warm-ups, which were always more like boot-camp drills and usually included a good round of ‘Burpies’, which, if you are unfamiliar with this term, consist of dropping to the ground, doing a full push-up, then returning to standing position by jumping in the air and clapping you hands above your head.  Sounds simple, I know.  Just try one right now.  Go ahead.  Clear a little space a do one.

Good.

Now do 30 in a row. 

(I’ll wait)

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Yeah.  Pain.

It was all in good humor and everyone got through it, eventually.


Justin being epic as usual

The practice of Aikido is relatively new in comparison with other martial arts. Its founder, Morhei Ueshiba (1883-1969), developed the technique as the result of searching for a synergy of physical action and mind based on the previous martial arts he had studied.  I will now quote from the ASU training handbook because I can’t really describe it well myself:

Ai - Harmony, unity; to be in accord with or to join.
Ki - Spirit; life force or universal creative energy.
Do - The way or path.

The movement of Aikido is the dynamic movement of the universal energy forces. The power of Aikido is the power of a strong and unified spirit, mind and body moving in harmony with everything around it. Its origin is Budo. Its development is the result of two thousand years of a cultural process of change and refinement, a continuing martial contest of natural selection. It is an evolution etched in blood.

The study of Budo and the development of Aikido was the life work of Morihei Ueshiba, a figure of great renown who traveled the length and breadth of Japan studying under the greatest masters of many arts. Hard work, severe discipline and all the money he could earn were poured into his mastery of the sword, the spear and the arts of self defense. Deeply interested in the study of spiritual thought, he also practiced many different spiritual disciplines.

Still, he was as yet unable to unite his spiritual beliefs with his physical accomplishments.
A short time after returning from military action in the Russo-Japanese War, he retired to a small house located on a mountain outside his village. There he lived and studied silently; his days spent training his body and his nights spent deep in prayer. It was at the end of this time of severe training that he had the realization he had been seeking all of his life. At that moment, nature's process became clear and he knew that the source of Budo is the spirit of protection of all things.

"Budo is not felling the opponent by force; nor is it a tool to ead the world into destruction by arms. True Budo is to accept the spirit of the universe, keep the peace of the world, and correctly produce, protect and cultivate all beings in nature."

So, if you actually read all that, you can see that it’s wicked awesome.  It was very challenging and even after 16 classes, I still have to go through each movement slowly in order to do it accurately.  I enjoyed it immensely.  It is rooted in compassion and collaboration.  During training, both the giver and the receiver of the action are learning equally.  The Bozeman dojo is a very supportive environment, and its members are involved and dedicated to the art and to one another.  I have the utmost respect for all its members and their passion for the art. 



I do need to credit these photos to the website, I never ended up bringing my camera with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment